Plans to support attachments other than images? [done]
I noticed that askbot support uploading of images, so presumably there is infrastructure in place to store binary blobs.
I would like to request support for generic attachments.
I realize we can use a link to a storage location, but it would be nice to have everything using the same front-end.
Not a huge priority, but definitely a nice feature to have in the context of a corporate site.
After thinking about this, I believe this feature could look like this:
- In the editor, add a new command (ctrl-F ?)
- ctrl-F brings up a navigation dialog to select the file
- The selected file is uploaded to a configurable directory.
- Should automatically add a unique prefix to file name to avoid name clash.
- A hyperlink (similar to ctrl-L) is linked to any highlighted text.
I believe that would provide an acceptable way to upload (and link to) files.