Ask Your Question
0

We've edited django.po files but translations do not work. Why?

asked 2012-09-16 16:47:46 -0600

Toms gravatar image

updated 2012-10-20 06:56:54 -0600

I'm using the ru locale and it is translated in to Russian but on my site it still appears in English.

Translation :

#: utils/functions.py:82
msgid "2 days ago"
msgstr "2 дня назад"

#: utils/functions.py:84
msgid "yesterday"
msgstr "вчера"

#: utils/functions.py:87
#, python-format
msgid "%(hr)d hour ago"
msgid_plural "%(hr)d hours ago"
msgstr[0] "%(hr)d час назад"
msgstr[1] "%(hr)d часов назад"
msgstr[2] "%(hr)d часа назад"

#: utils/functions.py:93
#, python-format
msgid "%(min)d min ago"
msgid_plural "%(min)d mins ago"
msgstr[0] "%(min)d минуту назад"
msgstr[1] "%(min)d минут назад"
msgstr[2] "%(min)d минуты назад"

I've tried

python manage.py compilemessages

then server restart.

80% of the messeges were translated, but not the time/date messages.

I've tried to manipulate functions.py (there are the original time messages), but I then the whole site does not work

EDIT:

Does it work with time translation now ?

edit retag flag offensive close merge delete

Comments

I did those steps, but the time/date is still in English

Toms gravatar imageToms ( 2012-09-16 17:30:35 -0600 )edit

Ok, I see. Those messages are actually in javascript. As strange as it sounds, but the best way to fix this is to migrate askbot to django 1.4. It cannot be done very quickly though. I will try to address this issue early next week, if not migrate to 1.4, but at least extract the strings for the translation correctly.

Evgeny gravatar imageEvgeny ( 2012-09-16 17:41:11 -0600 )edit

@Evgeny I translate atm the German language files. I downloaded from Transiflex the *.po Mainfile moved it to /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/askbot/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES (renamed it to django.po). Then I run "python setup_templates/manage.py compilemessages" in "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/askbot", all *.po files are processing ... restart the webserver (apache with mod_wsgi) ... akbot is fully broken (500er http errors, all sites). I move my backup files back, recompile, restart webserver, still broken. Any Ideas? (Is the dev-version OK for a production usage?)

Edur gravatar imageEdur ( 2012-09-17 10:52:37 -0600 )edit

OK, after some trys with "manage.py collectstatic" "manage.py compilemessages" and "manage.py migrate" it works again. :)

Edur gravatar imageEdur ( 2012-09-17 11:34:40 -0600 )edit

To avoid other similar problems you should try choosing another localization tool. I am using [poeditor](https://poeditor.com) and I recommend it. It works very well with po files, it has a simple interface and no tangling bugs.

Baxin gravatar imageBaxin ( 2013-12-17 09:53:21 -0600 )edit

1 Answer

Sort by » oldest newest most voted
0

answered 2012-09-16 17:11:08 -0600

Evgeny gravatar image

updated 2012-09-16 17:13:33 -0600

You might have forgotten to compile the messages: cd askbot #or wherever askbot code is actually installed python manage.py compilemessages Note that - this works best if you have installed Askbot in the development mode (with `python setup.py develop`) Secondly - translations need to be loaded by the application in order to work. You might need to restart the server's python process or the webserver.

edit flag offensive delete link more

Your Answer

Please start posting anonymously - your entry will be published after you log in or create a new account.

Add Answer

Question Tools

Stats

Asked: 2012-09-16 16:47:46 -0600

Seen: 5,461 times

Last updated: Dec 17 '13