How easy it is to modify the existing askbot functionality
I am creating a project where Q & A is just about 20% of the entire site. I haven't started my project since I am still in the research phase. I have gone through the documentation provided by askbot and I am keen on using it for the Q and A.
There are certain additional stuff I need to add: For ex:
- When a user registers for a first time, a form should appear before him which he needs to submit.
- The questions should be of sorted by relevance rather than activity. By relevance I mean questions he would have followed or activity of people he would have followed or by something else.
- How easy is it to modify askbot database tables?
- Each question will have multiple tag box each box suggesting what he would tag. Ex : tags for subject, tags for company, tags for experience and so on (Just trying to give an example)
- How do I start? Should I import askbot as my first app and build rest of the functionality around it?
- I would also like to have "news feed" along with a list of questions when the user logs in.
- Add more information about the user who has asked a question. Like his comapany, college, etc (I am referring to a image which is seen next to the question)
- Can there be a hierarchy in tags? Top-level: Computer science, Mid-level: C program, Low level: function pointers. How will it look in the database?
What do you guys recommend? I know its possible to do this but looks more like a hack which could be a pain maintain unless I have a complete grasp on askbot. How easy it it do this and possibly much more. I also would like to contribute to the community if they find any of the additional functionality useful.
I am also looking for a solution for a similar problem. How easy is it to update if we modify the source code